News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Property not available - Move Target

Tagged: 

This topic contains 35 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Swizzly 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

haucks
    Participant

I downloaded RAIN to look into it and when I tried to run the first tutorial (Basic Object Rigging in RAIN for Unity) I tried to set the “Move Target” attribute to a variable like it shows in the video but that drop down is not in my version.

I put the variable name in the field labeled “Move Target” but it does not work when I press play.

Here is my version information:
    RAIN is a component of Sentio
    RAIN 2.0.9.2371
    RAINEditor 2.0.9.2371

Thanks for ANY help in resolving this issue.
    Stephen

prime
    Keymaster

Stephen -

A few things have changed since that video was done (we’re working on a new replacement.) Here are some of the changes.

1) You will want to put the names of objects in quotes whenever you see the italic e symbol next to a field. This indicates an Expression. Variables don’t use quotes, but the names of game objects, sensors, aspects, etc. do.
    2) You no longer need to add a parent object that is at ground/foot level for the AI. The AI transform no longer needs to be on the ground.
    3) By default, then Basic Motor has a field called Valid Path Required. If you don’t have a NavMesh set up, make sure you turn that off.
    4) The Move node did change - it now uses an Expression field instead of the drop down. You can set a variable just like you mentioned - no quotes, or you can put in the name of a navigation target - in quotes (navigation targets are a new object supported by RAIN that lets you create named destinations in the scene.)

Hope that helps.

haucks
    Participant

I moved the capsule out of the parent object and deleted it.
    I then changed the RAIN AI property to point to Capsule.
    It’s still not working, do you have a valid example I can compare mine to?

How do I troubleshoot this issue when there is nothing in the console indicating an error?

Thanks,
    Stephen

prime
    Keymaster

Maybe take a look at our Wander and Attack tutorials/projects to see how you can set up an AI.

For troubleshooting, have the AI selected in the hierarchy and then open the BT Editor while the project is running. It will show you which nodes are running/succeeding/failing. (yellow is running, green is succeeding, red is failing).

You should also check the AI Memory at runtime and make sure the move target is valid.

haucks
    Participant

I tried as you said.

Just letting you know what I found.
    The move is red, in the move I set the “Repeat” property to repeat forever and the “Move Target” property to the name of the variable set in the waypoint (both with and without quotes) and it doe snot work.

I will look at the other projects you recommended.

BTW, I am using the free version of Unity 4.3.3f1

Thanks,
    Stephen

prime
    Keymaster

Can you post a screen shot of your behavior tree with the Move node selected?

Iuxeayor
    Participant

I also seem to be having a problem with this new setup. I used an older version of RAIN only a week or so old and the Route-taking AI used to work. Now it does not move. I opened the BT Editor and the move node is orange - I assume that means Red. I am only using Capsules at this point.

Experimenting now.

haucks
    Participant

Iuxeayor
    Participant

So, I found a solution. It seems like a work-around, so I hope there is a better answer out there.
    Unity version: 4.2.2f1 - I will be upgrading once the download is completed.
    RAIN version: 2.0.9.2371

In the BT Editor, I put the “move” as a Child under the “waypointpatrol” node.
    Then, inside of “move”, I changed Repeat:Forever to Repeat:Until Success.

Now the AI moves as desired like in the “Basic Object Rigging in RAIN for Unity” tutorial or “Rigging Up Wander And Attack
    Tutorial Part 1″. This seems like a major work-around from what is described in the tutorials. But hopefully it works out for anyone else with the same issue.

Iuxeayor
    Participant

Quick explanation:

Nesting the “move” node under “waypointpatrol” makes the AI move. However, the AI will stop at the first Waypoint.
    Setting Repeat:Until Success causes the AI to move to each point in succession, apparently, thus fluidly patrolling as expected.

;>

haucks
    Participant

I can confirm that doing what luxeayor described above made it work…..

prime
    Keymaster

I suggest not putting Repeat Until Success on a move node like that. Move nodes already repeat automatically until they reach their destination.

If the AI is stopping at the first waypoint, then some other error is occurring. If @luxeayor’s solution is working, it is only as a side effect. Feel free to share a non-working project - we’ll take a look and let you know what the issue is.

Iuxeayor
    Participant

I agree with @prime.
    I am attempting to send a small project that demonstrates the issue. It is extremely simple and can be adjusted to work as described above.

Iuxeayor
    Participant

Here is a link to my zipped project in Dropbox:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66953215/Non-Working%20RAIN.zip

Please let me know if that link does not work. ;>

Iuxeayor
    Participant

I was wondering if any solution has been discovered yet with this issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.