News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Runtime takes a long time to load

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sigil 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

VLunarFangV
    Participant

So ever since I installed rain on my project, clicking the “Play” button makes Unity “Import small assets” for about a minute (nothing new is installed) and then Unity just sits there for about 5 minutes doing nothing before finally playing the scene. I know this came about from Rain because when I removed Rain, everything returned back to normal. How can I stop this from happening anymore?

Sigil
    Keymaster

That probably means something is going wrong. Are there any errors in the console?

RAIN creates a few files the first time it runs, some textures, a settings file, a couple other things. It only does this once normally, but if problems occur it could repeat every time you start your game. In the past this occurred if you opened a project within a project (multiple asset folders), but it also occurred if you used an older version of RAIN with Unity 5.1.

Outside of that, try importing RAIN into a blank project and see if similar issues occur.

If any of these things apply, let me know. If not, we’ll try to figure out what’s going on.

VLunarFangV
    Participant

Does a large amount of assets slow it down? I’ve opened up a new project and it loaded quickly, so it’s something in the current project that’s causing the problem. I’ve also deleted and re-imported Rain so it’s up to date. Also could contribute to the problem.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Not with the latest version that I know of. Be sure it is the latest version of RAIN (2.1.11 I think) as there was a previous version that would cause problems with the latest Unity (that might be similar to what you are experiencing).

Any other symptoms that you can see? Anything in the console?

VLunarFangV
    Participant

I have re-downloaded and re-imported the RAIN folder. I haven’t completely removed all of Rain’s folders as it does create a few and my Assets folder is a complete mess so there may be a file somewhere I haven’t removed.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Any relevant warnings/errors in the console?

Also make sure these files have shown up:
    /RAIN/Editor/RAINProjectState
    /RAIN/Editor/RAINSettings
    /RAIN/Editor/RAINSkin // this one may not be there

If those are missing it may mean RAIN is having trouble creating them, which would explain the load each play (not sure why it takes 5 minutes though). You should take a look at your console log (upper right menu of the console window, Open Editor Log) and see if there are any messages when it has trouble loading.

VLunarFangV
    Participant

It has none of these. So there’s the problem. Console shows nothing during runtime.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Sorry this is taking so long.

So before we keep going, what version of Unity are we working with, and what version of RAIN do you have in the project? I know you said you re-downloaded RAIN but check in the menu to be sure (go to RAIN -> Help -> About).

So those missing files indicate that RAIN is either writing the files in the wrong location, or can’t write the files at all. In the case where RAIN is writing in the wrong location it usually happened when the Asset folder gets a little screwed up, like if you have a project within a project. Look at the location of the RAIN folder on your hard drive and make sure it isn’t in a location like MyProject/Assets/MyOtherProject/Assets/RAIN (with your folders instead).

VLunarFangV
    Participant

I’m using Unity v5.1.2f1 Personal with RAIN 2.1.11.0. I’ve checked and it is in the right location. The last time I accidentally loaded an assets folder in another, it wouldn’t let me start Unity. So that’s out of the equation. I could create a new project and import everything into that, levels and all.

Sigil
    Keymaster

One other option, if possible, would be to zip the project up and get it to me through dropbox or some other service….

Perhaps you could make a copy of it and start removing the larger assets until it is small enough but still shows the same behavior. It doesn’t even have to be working well as long as you can press play and have the asset import problem, even if it is shorter in time.

If that is possible, send me an email at sigil@rivaltheory.com referencing this forum post (along with the project or link to it) and I’ll take a look at it. If you can’t, I’ll keep working with you here.

VLunarFangV
    Participant

My upload speed is the worst, so I think I could just create a new project and reimport the assets and prefabs. Not too much would be lost, if any.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Let me know if that doesn’t work and we’ll try to figure something out.

VLunarFangV
    Participant

I’ve shifted everything over to a new folder and re-downloaded Rain. Everything loads much faster now so I assume it was a corrupt file. Thanks for the help anyway.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Glad you got it working, come back if you have any questions (probably start a new thread though).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.